Apart from one on one sessions,
- we deliver at schools a program for children called ‘Self-confidence and self-regulations skills’. If your school doesn’t run this program yet, you can ask them to send their expression of interest to us, so that we could help children at your school as well to develop a healthy self-worth, become more confident in themselves and resilient.
As reported in http://teenmentalhealth.org/learn/mental-disorders/, ‘The statistics are staggering: 1 in 5 young people suffer from a mental illness, that’s 20 percent of our population’. The most common mental health issues among young people are anxiety disorders and depression.
The purpose of ‘Self-confidence and self-regulations skills’ program is to teach children the fundamental skills of regulating their thoughts, emotions and behaviours effectively, in order to prevent anxiety and depression among young people, as well as to enable them to have a healthy self-esteem and self-confidence in order to be successful in life.
This program is delivered over 6 hours (6 sessions 1hr each or 8 sessions 45 min each). It is suitable for students of 6-12 grades. We would recommend schools to run it the earlier, the better: among grades 6 -7, keeping the goal of prevention from anxiety and depression in mind.
We ran this program at Melbourne Montessori primary school in 2017 among grade 6 students. After this program the students completed a survey with the questions:
- Did you find the information in this program useful? Yes/No
- Would you recommend this program to other students? Yes/No
- My self-esteem and confidence after this program improved/stayed the same/got worse
- My abilities to deal effectively with my negative emotions after this program improved/stayed the same/got worse
- My resilience against life challenges after this program improved/stayed the same/got worse
The results of the survey showed:
- 100% of the students found the information in this program useful.
- 100% of students would recommend it to other students.
- 76% of students said that their self-esteem and confidence improved after the program. The other 24% said that it stayed the same.
- 71% of students said that their abilities to deal effectively with their negative emotions after this program improved. 29% said that it stayed the same.
- 76% of students said that their resilience against life challenges after this program improved. 24% said that it stayed the same.
The principal of the Melbourne Montessori School Gay Wales was present at each session of the ‘Self-confidence and self-regulations skills’ program. Here is her feedback:
‘The program ‘Self-confidence and self-regulation skills’ which Sviatlana Starr ran with our Year 6 Junior School leaders has been excellent. Sviatlana planned an extremely powerful set of six sessions (1 hour each) for our students, which they found really easy to connect with. Her direct approach was clear and forthright, and the sessions taught effective, empowering and simple methods for our young people to apply, so that they now feel more confident to tackle a number of typical issues for their age group. We are very grateful to Sviatlana for this program and the session she then ran for parents across the school with a similar message. It was extremely well-attended and the feedback was very enthusiastic.’
Melbourne Montessori School
Phone +61 3 9528 4478
Fax +61 3 9528 4031
If you are interested in this program for your school and need more information about it, we’ll be happy to email further details to you or discuss it face-to-face. Please send your enquiries to email@example.com or call Sviatlana Starr on 0414 737 965.
2. We also deliver Parents Information Nights. It is desirable that both school and parents at home work in unison to encourage our children to develop resilience. In the ideal world, we would recommend children to do the ‘Self-confidence and self-regulations skills’ program at school, while their parents would attend both of our Parents information nights. If your school doesn’t run our program just yet, as a parent you can still help your children build a healthy self-esteem, confidence and overcome anxiety by attending our Parents Information nights.
Please call us on 0414 737 965 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org to find out the date and the location for our next parents information night.
We offer 2 Parents Information sessions (each session is 1.5 hrs long):
- Proven strategies on how you can help your children develop a healthy self-worth, become more confident in themselves and therefore more successful in life.
- Proven techniques on how you can help yourself and your children become less anxious and more effective in challenging situations.
Here are the testimonials of the principle, a teacher and a few parents who attended our Parents info night on self-worth and confidence at the Melbourne Montessori School in 2017:
‘We are very grateful to Sviatlana Starr for the session for parents ‘Proven strategies on how you can help your children develop a healthy self-worth, become more confident in themselves and therefore more successful in life ‘. This session was extremely well-attended and the feedback from the parents was very positive and enthusiastic.’
Melbourne Montessori School
‘Dear Sviatlana, I would like to tell you that your presentation for the night was excellent. It was very clear and I thoroughly enjoyed it.What I took from the presentation was that confidence is something that you can achieve even if you have not had it before. That it is only your belief system and the environment you were brought up in that makes you believe that you are not worthy. It all depends on whether you react to a situation or respond. If you respond rather than react, you will be empowered to develop effective strategies and gain confidence.
Another aspect of your talk that was significant was the way you described conditional and unconditional love.
Cycle 3 Teacher, Melbourne Montessori School
Your presentation at MMS was extremely useful for a parent who has two young daughters, both of which suffer from a lack of confidence and anxiety from time to time. Your tips & strategies were highly practical and easy to apply. I would recommend your presentation to other parents as I believe they will benefit from learning about the common causes of these issues, and how they can work towards helping their children overcome or avoid confidence and anxiety issues now & in the future.
Alex, parent at MMS
Sviatana is undoubtedly professional in her field. She gave us the wonderful presentation yesterday. Her talk was supported by scientific findings, it also was well-structured and easy to follow. I’ve learnt how to help my child to increase her self-confidence and reduce the level of stress if something goes wrong. Now I know how to talk to my child in a beneficial for both of us way. I highly recommend every parent who is interesting in building a healthy relationship with their children to attend this session.
Yulia Fetisova, parent at MMS